Security in Electronic Voting
First able, we affirm that, as a general rule, IT systems related to electronic voting are safe due to their three fundamental characteristics and/or pillars, namely, CONFIDENTIALITY, INTEGRITY and AVAILABILITY.
Now let us define each of the characteristics ut supra indicated:
- CONFIDENTIALITY refers to voter privacy,
- INTEGRITY refers to the accuracy of the results,
- AVAILABILITY means continuity until the voting process is completed.
In addition to the features mentioned in the preceding paragraphs, we refer to a further characteristic the so-called VERIFIABILITY of the electronic voting system, as it is necessary to be able to verify its level of security, its reliability and that it works as it should.
In relation to the last paragraph, it is stated that the main requirements for considering a voting system verifiable are as follows:
- Identification of each individual machine
- Each event detected must be able to be individualized
- Possibility of reviewing with which procedure defined and with which case the machines are archived (including reserve ones)
- Each software file must have a unique identification
- The ID is associated with its corresponding operating documentation
- Certifications and licences
weVote System Security
Secondly, the electronic voting systems developed by weVote are safe as they have been designed according to the standards and principles recognized by good practice in IT administration, so much so that it guarantees 100% that no illegitimate votes are added and prevents the alteration of legitimate votes.
In the third place, electronic voting is becoming more secure every day as it is characterized by, between others:
- Integrity of results
- Universal and individual verification
- Legitimacy of the voter
Electronic Voting Security Principles
Fourthly, we defend the cyber security of electronic voting as the safe technology’ principles are applied, as they are, for e.g., between others:
- Risk administration
- Scheme of: Active-Threat-Vulnerability
- Incident management
weVote, also, ensures that the software code can be revised, verified and encrypted so that each time it is given validity, the same cannot be modified for the author, his controllers or his “keepers”.
Lastly, we highlight some advantages and/or benefits of eVote:
- Increase in the speed and effectiveness of electoral activities
- Increase in the speed of obtaining election results
- Improving the accuracy of election results
- Improvement in capacity to identify and prevent fraudulent situations
Finally, we note that weVote operates according to the requirements and/or standards established in the ISO/IEC 27001 and in the eIDAS.